Friday, June 24, 2016

How I Edit My Novel

I've never mentioned it over here, but along with being an author, I'm a freelance editor. I've been editing for years now, and more than a few of my clients have gone on to publish. I'm asked often how, as an editor, I edit my own work. I go through several phases for editing for myself.

Stage 1: I give myself a break. This usually only lasts about a week before I feel like I need to get back to it. So I start rereading from the beginning, fixing any typos or grammar issues I find. This is also the time I start noticing any plot holes and trying to close those up. When I reach the end, I rest again.

Stage 2: This is another read through to finish plugging any holes in the plot.

Stage 3: This isn't a read through, but I do go through and spot search for any grammar errors I might have missed. From here, I send the story to my beta readers and wait.

Stage 4: When I get the story back, I go through the notes left for me, and I fix anything that still needs to be fixed. When that's done, I read over it one more time, and then I consider myself done.

So, there it is, all written out for all those people who have asked me how I edit my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment